Tumbet Mallorquin is one of the most flexible typical dishes of Mallorca. It may look a little complicated at first, but a Tumbet is prepared faster than you think.
Tumbet Mallorquin – what belongs in it?
Whether cold, hot or lukewarm, as an appetizer, main course, or side dish, a Tumbet Mallorquin consists of aubergine, zucchini, peppers, tomato, and potatoes. Classically, the vegetables are fried in a pan in a lot of fat and then cooked in the oven. But this variant is heavy, so it is better to prepare Tumbet just in the oven, with much less fat and guaranteed without loss of flavor.
The whole dish is traditionally prepared in a ‘Greixonera’ (or ‘Cazuela’ in Spanish), a traditional clay mold. These are used in Spain – and especially in Mallorca – for just about every type of preparation. They conduct heat very well and, above all, store it so that the food hardly cools down even after serving. They are used in the oven but also on the stove.
Tumbet Mallorquin – where can you find it in Mallorca?
Tumbet is served in almost every Mallorca restaurant. We can recommend it at the Celler Sa Premsa in Palma and the Celler Bar Randa restaurant in Randa. Price-wise, the dish ranges from 12 to 15 euros. The following recipe comes from Chefkoch.de and was prepared slightly modified.
Our articles + tips about Mallorca:
- Our favorite on Playa de Palma in December – the Iberostar Llaut Palma*. ( Review at TFL )
- Also, worth a visit – the Occidental Playa de Palma*
- The hotel with the most beautiful infinity pool in Palma and significantly reduced in December – the Nakar Hotel*.
Here you can find everything you need to organize your trip*.
Tumbet Mallorquin- the Mallorcan vegetable stew from the oven
- Slice the eggplants, drizzle lightly with olive oil and brown in a preheated oven at 220°C for about 30 minutes. Clean the bell pepper and cut into pieces, wash and drain.Peel the potatoes, cut into thin slices, wash and drain.Crush the garlic cloves unpeeled.Cut the scallions into small pieces.Wash the tomatoes and cut them into pieces.
- Heat a little oil in a pot, sauté the garlic and scallions and add the tomatoes, then salt and pepper. Cover the pot and reduce slowly. When the sauce has thickened, puree it and put it back. If you like, you can refine the sauce with chili and / or a dash of red wine.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the potatoes in it, drain and spread in a shallow clay/baking dish.Remove the eggplants from the oven and spread them over the potatoes.Fry the peppers in the remaining oil over low heat to prevent the juices from escaping. Salt and drain. Then spread over the eggplant slices. Then drizzle with the tomato sauce.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?